Collection: Part 3

26 Feb

With this current proposal, I feel quite excited that I can further develop into found old photography. Yet at the same time I am concerned about the outcome of the final piece as this way of working is something I haven't done before, this is defiantly the deep end for me. Before I would always deal with a theme or topic and work around it, yet this time I am working without one plus also working with human figures which always daunt me and at times don't find as interesting as perhaps nature or animals. 

27 Feb

I prefer my method of research in finding photographies to me solely and online thing. Emma has mentioned to look for them in a library, but that is something I strongly disagree on. Looking for photographs, especially quirky ones to be quite difficult as you’ll have to go through lots of material to perhaps find one. While if the photography found was of some interest perhaps it would have already been put online by someone else.

I’m planing on sticking to old photography and not anything recent or even with colours. I liked old quirkiness of how inventive olden day people dealt with problems or their view points on certain things. 

I guess I mainly like working with old photography because of how the views have changed compared to then and now; how something was accepted before is unthinkable now.

1 March

I started to be more in-depth with my photo editing, before I would just simply remove an important aspect of the photograph instead of boldly changing aspects. I believe that I am being too precious with the photographs, each of them have such a story behind them that I feel like if I remove too much that photo no longer conveys that message. I do feel like I should explain photographies on what each represent, however, it might also clash with the editing that I have done, as editing removes the meaning from the context.

The one photograph of figure completion that I painted their bodies green, created an effect that I really like. Not to sure on what the effect is but the atmosphere of the photograph is something that I feel very strongly too. 

I believe it worked due to the uniformity of covering their bodies much like how their faces are covered too. Also with the colour green which is also the colour of nature but also disgust, such as sickness, frogs or slim. I am not sure if I can recreate the same feel on a different photography, perhaps I’ll need to find some more photos.

5 March

I feel a bit stumped with what I should be doing next.

I felt like I found quite a number of photography online and have edited them. Either by removing or covering, I feel like the things that I create from the photos are repetitive, wether such repetition is good or bad is something I cannot decide upon. Where the repetition could be a series, or it could be me doing the same thing and not developing anything any further.

I found out that Jimmy was printing directly on astatate to be projected in the projector. Because of that I believe I should try more experimentation with printing on different paper for the photography, trying either acetate and/or tracing paper.

Working in class is challenging at the moment especially if I want to experiment with printing, or collaging with one photo as I will be needing a printer to scale up or down each photography per print to get different sizes. 

For the next class I will pre-print photos to experiment with in class, I am also planing on bring a set of paints for a full set of proper materials I can use  productively in class.

6 March

The talk that I had with Gary, gave me direction in the dilemma that was holding me back to taking the next step in producing more work. I was unsure of the final piece that is made from and individual photograph that works well as a painting or a combination of multiple simple photographies as a painting. Because of this I was constantly finding images online yet not really developing it in any direction. 

The one point that Gay stated to me that impacted on how I further develop, was that each picture requires something new done to it and while one photo could have multiple different techniques applied to it to see how that effects the photography.

After the talk I tried different ways to incorporate techniques such as cropping, removing and blurring with just four photographies of light baths in Russia. I felt like the removal of the figures doesn't work as well as I thought. I didn't like how it doesn't create as much interest in the piece, as it just looks like four figures standing, with nothing for the audience to ponder on. 

The blurring effect with the images printed on tracing paper (blurred with wet paint brush) was something that I found was more successful, as it added more depth and interest into the photo. However, I was every cautious around the figures, and would go around them and only blur the background, which ended up more like a cropped image instead of a blurred image. I do believe that I will need more experimenting with the blurring effect to varying degrees, perhaps printing multiple small images and applying more and more blurring effect as it progresses, maybe all the way till the image is unrecognisable.

8 March

Due to unable to print on tracing paper in class, I experimented with the pre-exiting blurred photographs. 

I pushed myself to go out to the workshop to collect some panels and prime them ready for painting even though I am still unsure of what I should be painting. 

I know I should be exploring and experimenting with my images and perhaps painting them could be used to develop into something new. Yet at the same time I don't feel as motivated in painting an image that I 'know' that might not be successful or something that might not be in the final outcome, I guess it is something along the line of not wasting energy on something that might not work, or perhaps laziness that I have put a pretty name to it.

I have copied the image almost directly from the photography to the panel which is something that I am not quite happy with, as I don't want to just 'paint' a photography. Perhaps once the painting process begins I can distort the images in ways that is less like the image.

I plan on finishing this piece over the weekend as it is mostly an experiment and something that I don't want to be spending lots of time on and creating lots of details.