Part 3

Research

Mindhunter

56da02656b679469b852c0f092feba0f.jpg

Mindhunter is a Netflix drama show about the development of profiling in the FBI based on a true story of interviews on killers and them coining the phrase serial killers.

This tv show really inspired me into delving into the passed, it made me start to think of the possibilities with working with something old with the ages of time. Previously I would have dismissed the idea of working with something old and would have wanted to base a project on more modern terms and concerns. 

Seeing the difference in the interactions, thoughts and behaviour in the time setting and modern day society, had me wanting to explore old social beliefs and behaviour that would be seen as horrible, sexes or weird.

- All to Human - Exhibition

all-too-human-exhibition-catalogue-21155-large.jpg

The exhibition 'All Too Human' was something that I feel personally does not connect strongly to me. I an not interested in the human figure nor much towards humanity. 

Out of all the the works, I still strongly prefer Lucien Freud's work as the use of colour and the texture of the paint that shows the voluptuous flesh of women and males alike. The progression of Freud's practice from fine paint brushes and tiny strokes towards the bigger and bolder paint brushes and strokes he used. Seeing the development and progress of his art style from refined to more expressive which I personally believe works better with the fleshly tones and texture of his works. 

I do wish to explore more with expressive paint textures and to be less over barring with my paintings. Yet I have also noticed that out of all the works within the gallery I still preferred Feuds work even though he is more of the controlling painter than compared to Francis Bacon. It is perhaps the detail and the use of colour that attracts to me.

freud_-_sleeping_by_the_lion_carpet_1996_3.jpg

Dancers 1899 - Degas

Degas Blue Dancers 1899.png.1

This work was actually the starting point of my whole project. It kicked started and showed me the possibilities one could do with editing photography into supporting material to develop artwork. 

Just the simple use of arranging photography to create a concept for a painting was something that was almost ground breaking to me, as before I would use photography for painting but never collage it into a work itself. 

This work really removed the ‘shyness’ I had with using photography and solidified the courage and curiosity of working with photography and developing them further into a painting.

Scott Short

d1d388b5e61b85c9a884a2d9d41404a7.jpeg

I find Scott Short's artistic practice almost like a form of torture, I can't even begin to understand why someone would what to paint white noise. I always associate it with a broken TV that needs hitting. I might not like Short's final outcome, but I do admire the effort and guts to create a piece like this. For him to photocopying images to the extent of there being no photo left and painting the remains of it. I do believe it was the introduction to Short's work that has gotten me into photo manipulation. Before I would never cut or paint-over a photograph, mainly due to the believe that photographies are something to be treasured and also perhaps our family rarely print out photographs. 

It is because of his painstaking way in art creation and in-turn made me ask myself to always reinterpret Photography and always find different ways to exploring and create photographies and artworks.

Short_Scott_untitled__blue_dab25.jpg 

Short_Scott_untitled__green__63356f94db82.5x50356f94db82.8356f94db82.jpg

Baaa

Baa.png.1

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WQO-aOdJLiw

The youtube video by Cyriak is something that inspired me to do this project, it opened the way on how to reinterpret or create something out of one thing. In this instant Cyriak used a short clip to create a 1:20min video of a sheep, that loops around and perhaps the original clip itself is only a few second long. The way that Cyriak when about creating it really showed me that you don’t need a lot to create something decent, there doesn’t need to be an abundance of ‘raw’ materials in order to make something.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.24.18 pm.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.24.37 pm.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.24.30 pm.png

victor man

Victor_Man_Grafting_or_Lermontov_dansant_comme_Saint-Sébastien_HR_web.jpg

Victor Man's works is something that I am surprised that I would like. Having the texture or the shine of the paint work with the completed work, his approach with subjects of his works almost take on a surreal expression, clearly depicting a figure yet at the same time always depicting just a bit more, something just a tad bit off that takes it away from a simple portrait or a figure painting.

Victor-Man_FlashArt.jpg

Photographers Gallery: Mathieu Asselin

Monsanto: A photographic Investigation

After viewing this exhibition, lead me to wanting to create a painting with the Monsanto corn seeds.

Knowing the horror of Monsanto company from numerous documentaries and seeing the renewed seed on display really created a shock almost like seeing a celebrity on the street. Seeing the effects of Monsantos GMO and chemicals, I was not surprised by the affect it had on the people, the land and nature. Once an GMO seed is planted and sprayed with pesticides and Monsanto nutrients, that land can no longer support anything except Monsanto’s GMO seeds. Plus having seed storing illegal and the crops not producing seeds of their own, creates a vicious cycle that the famers are trapped in making them fall farthing into debt. 

I used the corn from this exhibition on a work of mine, painted to be like rain drops to express the notion of rain, where GMO are abundant but also spreads chemicals across the world as pollen, mud, wash off.

The work unfortunately was a failure of an experiment, and will not be completed. However, it is in reserve for a new project.

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpg.1

Orchard Festival, Kew Gardens

LRG_DSC06696.jpg.1

This year was the first time that the flower festival was inspired by Thailand’s 1,100 different species of orchards.

Going inside was indeed a ‘explosion of colour’ as quoted by Nick Johnson, public glasshouse manager, from floor to ceiling was an array of different coloured orchards. 

I got very inspired with the complex yet delicate form of the orchards and followed the flow of behaviour in blocking the path and taking numerous photos. I really enjoyed this show as me  wanting to do photography isn’t a usual occurrence.

During the photography I tried playing with the angle of the camera and trying to incorporate the amount of orchards on display. 

LRG_DSC06725.jpg

Are we smart enough to know how smart animals are? By Frans de Waal

26530322.jpg.1

This book was really interesting on how humans treat animals and treat each other. This book mainly is talking about the different experiments the animals would go though in order for the scientists to determine their inelegance, such experiments are puzzle games with food as the reward.

I love seeing how the scientist meagrely disregard an animal as stupid because it was not interested in the test or couldn’t work out the puzzle because it was designed poorly for the participating species.

It reminds me of a quote from Albert Einstein ‘everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live it whole life believing that it is stupid.’ 

The book shows the fickle mind of humans in how up stuck we are as a species, quick the judge, slow to reconsider, narrow minded and stubborn, believing we are always at the top. It is almost like a bully in the playground because he is the biggest. 

Specific Objects, Donald Judd

UV Light Baths

edhto5dipyi01.png

Discovering old photographies on the internet, I came across children in the Soviet Union having light baths during the winter. 

The compression of this photography almost could qualify for a rock album cover, the eerie dark tone with discomforting blue light, the four figures standing around like they are part-taking in a witchcraft ritual. 

The main point of why this photography grabbed my attaching and how it push started my experimenting process; first was the weird, bizarre and discomforting quality of the work, something I personally find intriguing and enjoyable to look at; second and most importantly was the interaction between humans, that raises the question of  ‘what are we doing to each other’. How parents are the supreme factor in every child’s life, telling them to dress weirdly with goggles and stand around in a circle; which are done willingly or not. How power and social influence affect people to responding or treating others in different ways.

1410507568_635391449.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 11.58.57 pm.png

180 The Strand

Isle of Dogs, Exhibition and Noodle Bar

I have never lined up for two hours to enter an exhibition before, in fact I have never lined up that long for anything. Entering it was amazing to find out the original sets where on display telling us that it took 445 days to create, with more that 670 people and 1097 puppets where used to create the movie and with 144,000 stills.

I was surprised to know that they used multiple puppets to create the film, I have always though it was one puppet that they reuse constantly. 

Seeing the intricate details on all the sets and having the imagination and foresight into knowing how the body moves and its little quirks, I would have been lost during the creation of a movement or would have long finished with patience.

Being able to see the back working of things and viewing interviews really opens another world to something you never thought about or believed you already knew.

IMG_4961.jpg.1 

IMG_4970.jpg.1

WhiteChapel Gallery - ISelf Collection: The upset Bucket

IMG_4781.jpg.1

I was unaware that the show was a combination of different artist, therefore I was very surprised and happy to see The Ladder by Real Floyer in this exhibition. Just turned around and it was right in front of me. I still crack a small at the ridiculousness of this piece, in representing a functioning item that isn’t functioning at all due to bad design. 

Throughout the show I liked The Upset Bucket by Francis Alys. The piece almost reminds me of Angela de la Cruze’s crushed and crumpled canvas, with the cloth pulled exposing the frame.

Yet Cruze’s work looks more violent, Alys’ work is immaculate, like someone was patiently rolling this piece up to be discarded or packed away. 

It reminds me of a distant memory of a someones pet dog, that must have done something naughty and the owner viewing it with distant anger and longing. Rolled up to be packed away somewhere else, while the busy background represents the chaos of the mind in how there is always a thought, and events impacting mentally. The frame a representation of the main thought of what the person was viewing in their mind, seeing it as a compilation of paintings.

The diamond stitching reminds me of a sofa, bringing in the symbol of the comforts of home.

The pattered background which is definitely part of the work, is to me something quite bold. I have never thought of working with a painted or even less pattered backdrop, was stereotypically all art in a gallery must be hung in front of a white wall. Also during the Park Project, with the upper levels being mustard yellow has really showed me that art doesn’t always need to be behind a white wall, but could work or work better behind a coloured, patterned or textured surface.

IMG_4779.jpg

Take you son, Sir! - Fox Madox Brown

I love this painting. Seeing it in the reflections exhibition in at the national gallery, I was instantly hooked with this work. 

The expression of the mother and baby, looking out at us. The pale coloured face almost look like she just gave birth to him, yeah she is holding him in a weird way with the right hand gripped firmly on his leg. The title ‘Take your son, Sir!’ makes it seem like the child was rejected, yet clearly in the reflection you can see a male figure with open arms.

The positioning of the mirror looks like a golden halo, thrusting her into an almost saint, religious figure.

I think it is the incompleteness of this work that personally works the best, seeing the pencil marking, white canvas included in completed section creates an intriguing atmosphere. Perhaps if the painting was complete it wouldn’t look as nice as it does now, and would just be a painting of a woman holding a baby. 

It was mainly this work that lead me to the open mindedness of having a rough finish or even an incomplete finish. Before during a painting or work I would always remove the pencil markings and have to cover up every surface of the canvas, to the point that I would hold it up to the light to see where I haven’t covered yet. 

I defiantly explored this aspect in the final piece of my project, leaving pencil markings and workings of the paint, the strokes in the green, head mask and also in the think markings of white that cleans up the edges. 

I really like this aspect and will defiantly try to develop it more, as it feels almost natural with no ‘perfection’ stress.

1280px-Ford_Madox_Brown_-_`Take_your_Son,_Sir'_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Research

Please be aware that this research is not in chronological order as I view research as a tangle of strings and ideas. Please scroll through in finding past and present, old and new side by side.

The Empire of Ants, David Attenborough

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.15.11 pm.png

The discovery of these ant hills in Switzerland are something really extraordinary and really intrigues me. What was found and what David Attenborough is explaining is that science has found a group of colonies on one side of a hill has unified into a super colony, basically they have formed alliances between each other. Instead of fighting over resources or land, this one side of the hill all the ants works together as one colony. 

This simple step of these ants working together almost seems like before when humans where raging war between kingdoms and empires, and that they have taken the next step in civilisation much like us. I wonder how did the first alliance happen and how did it spread. I find this really inspirational as it clearly defines that everything is always evolving and creating changes, and that human nature isn't as unique as we all come to see it.

Wilhelm Sasnal

wilhelm sasnal prace 9_5992469.jpg

Wilhelm Sasnal works has got this quality to them that makes the figures unified into the background yet simultaneously stand out from it. The use of texture or block colour creates a space that the figure stand out and blend in,as the eye sees the painting theres a fight between looking at the background and looking at the figures. Almost to the point that once looking at one feature everything else in the painting is blotted out.

His portraits, however, personally feel they are lacking compared to his landscapes with figures. The portraits are less interesting, it doesn't consist of the attention grabbing background and figures, the whole quality feel like an olden photography with a modern twist.

4834703235_8b64a946c0_b.jpg

Reddit

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 1.55.00 pm.png

'Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website. Registered members submit content to the site such as links, text posts, and images, which are then voted up or down by other members.' - Wikipedia

Reddit is the one website that I like to frequent as it give an overview on what the internet is discussing, interested and looking at. Most of the things being discussed is not something that is normal discussed on normal news media or found anywhere else. The topics range from humanism, politics, upcoming news, nature photographies, interesting things such as how machines sort to the weird and quirky. Most posts are funny and sassy, yet it shows an insight to how people respond to many things.

Most of the old photographies I find are mostly from here, reading what the photo was about and the comments of people reacting towards such photos are something that I find very interesting. It is mostly the comment sections that I mostly enjoy, reading people complain about things, crack jokes or discuss the consequences or outcomes. 

example of the comment section below:

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 2.16.50 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 2.16.58 pm.png

Ceal Floyer

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.38.16 pm.png.1

Ceal Floyer's work always have this quirkiness to them, like there is alway a joke within each piece. Floyer mostly uses mundane setting or objects in her works that I think create a connection with each audience on a basic level as each object everyone would have interacted with or personally used before. It is because of this that Floyer's work can connect and create a smile on everyones faces, it is a smile not because of its uniqueness but its play on the mundane settings that everyone can relate too.

I found out that is is really hard to find the titles of Floyer's works, so therefore I'll name them as what is represented. The 'sink' above hits home for me as it shows the simple redundancy of a bad design, water in the bathroom sink that goes straight down the drain is something that always gets to me. 

Or Floyer's 'Ladder' below, shows a ladder with steps besides the most top and most bottom step make people stop and ponder on a objects design that when working is never thought about. Yet the simple removal of a few steps makes people laugh at the ridiculous design.

wpid-12944486861.Ceal-Floyer-Ladder-2010-Courtesy-the-artist-and-Lisson-Gallery..jpg

Everybody is talking about Jamie

maxresdefault.jpg

The mix of culture represented in the class was something that I found quite surprising. They had whites, asians, blacks and muslims. Each culture was integrated and quite confident in their differences in culture and behaviour. In Australia most people from different cultures sometimes are ashamed of their heritage feeling like the need to blend in more. 

The whole show regarding Jamie’s coming out and acceptance from his peers and family members and how their reaction and approval affects him so strongly that it controls him completely. 

I really liked this show as not only does it tackle the relationship between father and son, single parents, bullying and the drama queen community. But also show the interaction and reaction when different world collide. Having the education system deal with the drama queen society, students with different believes, stereotypical man-hood with gay society. All shows how rich and complex our world is, in how far we have developed and in areas where have yet to change.

171217-teeman-verybodys_talking_about_jamie-tease_dbagkf.jpeg

Tate Interview: Dayanita Singh

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 3.13.20 pm.png

Dayanita Singh’s black and white photography really captivate me as you feel there is always something more happening underneath the surface. Her works create an unsettling feeling, yet at the same time it creates an intimate feeling that drags the audience down into the photograph itself.

In the interview Singh mentioned that she always likes to capture the elusive. She also then went to state that, ‘she could edit with an emotion’. I know personally I would like to have emotion within a work or photography but I never thought about editing purely on personal emotion or the emotion shown within the photography. 

18_Chance_2013_3.jpg

20_Chance_04.jpg

Newport Street Gallery

C8LabFIXUAA3x2M.jpg

Rachel Howard's exhibition: Repetition is Truth - Via Dolorosa was an gallery that I did not enjoy much.

As the title states 'repetition' this gallery was a continuous theme of paintings, which basically was an off white background with streaks of colour. I found this really boring, mostly cause there isn't much to see and with all the paintings practically the same, I got bored just walking through it.

Rachel-Howard-Repetition-is-Truth-–-Via-Dolorosa-Installation-View-2018-Courtesy-Newport-Sreet-Gallery-Photo-Prudence-Cuming-Associates-2.jpg 

rachel-howard-fear-of-madness-2011-b.jpg

Ways of seeing

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 5.55.58 pm.png.1

Even though this documentary was made in the 1972 about how technology affects art, the issue is still as prevalent and relatable in modern day circumstances. The use of camera angles, panning, music and mass printing stripping away the quality, awe and meaning of a painting.

Visiting The National Gallery, I didn’t realise that there was many renowned art works on display for free. Walking around I stumble upon Caravaggio’s ‘The Supper at Emmaus’ I had to do a double take as I didn’t notice it. Upon seeing it I was disappointed in my reaction, I perhaps felt a bit surprised in seeing it, but felt noting to the work, it was like it was bland. As if I have seen this work too many times, like re-seeing an advert multiple times. 

It is pretty much as what John Berger was stating, the mass reproduction of works are making art less intimidating, less awe inspiring and less precious.

caravaggio_cena_emmaus_arte_wikipedia_thumb660x453.jpg

National Gallery

During the visit to the notional gallery I stumbled upon the work by Richard Dadd ‘Bacchanalian Scene’ 1862.

9.richard_dadd._bacchanalian_scene_1862_._oil_on_wood._private_collection.jpg

This piece with the strong gaze and grass coming in from the corner gives off a feel that the viewer has accidentally stumbled upon them in the bushes and have revealed their secret gathering. 

It is essentially the powerful gaze of the figure in the middle of the piece, almost makes one halt in their steps and feel guilty or in danger for finding out. The force of the gaze is what attracts me to this work. The sense of a presence and twinge of danger in the air is something that I wanted to incorporate into my project. Having multiple green figures to work with I ended up focusing on the one figure with a powerful stance that gives off a sense of caution to the viewer. 

Selfie How The West became self-obsessed - Will Storr

411UhnXL6gL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Storr explores the phycological aspect of the impact on perfectionist and its correlation to social behaviours. How perfectionist, both social perfectionist and self-perfectionist pressure themselves to constantly outperform the standards that either society or they themselves place. 

’56 per cent of friends and family members of someone who’d killed themselves referred to the deceased, unprompted, as a ‘perfectionist’

‘The modern world is giving us a greater number of opportunities to feel like failures…in part, that’s because of the internet and social media’

The perfect body or life has indeed pressed more and more people into self-loathing not only within women but also in males. Creating a rise in eating disorder, gym memberships and muscle growth protein sales rises.

It is with these perfections that I decided to cover the figure contest with green as to cover their body for imperfections, exposing their inner self-doubt and self-loathing.

Neil Raitt

NeilRaitt6.jpg

Raitt was the inspiration for me in choosing to deal with found photographies, previously I would not have taken such a huge risk in gambling for the right photo to come along. Yet after seeing Raitt’s artworks which is really a repeat of a mountain continuously from edge to edge, if he can make such a good painting from that, I can make something work within any found photo. It never struck me to reuse the same thing over and over again as I like to always mix things up and never repeat the same thing, thinking that it’ll be boring.

With his influence not only I’ve started to be less stressed on finding a photo but I’ve started to incorporate the notion of experimenting on the same images multiple times, either with collages and or editing.

His works remind me of when someone tries to tile a small photo on to their desktop photo, having it small and repudiative. While on the desktop it might look tacky Raitt has masterfully re-invented the 'tile' effect.

Neil-RAITT-at-Valentin-15.jpg

Lady Bird

Lady_Bird_poster.jpeg

'Lady Bird' was a movie that I quite didn't understand. With the high ratings of people and papers alike, I wondered what was in this movie that had people so hooked. As I found out it was the quality in connection and 'touching' people childhood, this movie had lots of points that a span of people from different generations could all connected to with, parenting, teenage awkwardness, personal discovery, family fights, love and development. 

'Lady Bird is a film bursting with warmth, wit and melancholy that manages to seem fresh and unexpected despite the overly stacked nature of the subgenre. Gerwig displays no narcissism as someone sharing a version of her past or an aching desire to be hip as a young film-maker and instead relies on genuine, deeply felt emotion to sell her story. It’s an impeccably crafted film.' - The Guardian

Even knowing all the good points and with good critique reviews, this film is still a mystery to me as why people like it as much. Having the protagonist difficult relationship with her strong-willed mother as a connection point for people, However, seeing the interactions, response and seeing the pressures of trying to be accepted into social life at school and personal finding, was such a pinnacle part of the movie that almost everyone can relate to.

Everest Black Snow

During my visit to Switzerland I heard from a friend that there is black snow on Everest blown onto it from the carbon emissions from the world. 

I later tried to incorporate it into an art piece, however, I later found out that Mount Everest looks like any old mountain and no one could distinguish it. Having just black snow on a snowy mountain is less impactful as Everest is regarded as the force of mother nature, where nothing can impact it nor its harsh remote location. Yet there is still human junk and carbon dust usually seen in a big city. 

This idea though ended up failing, as the whole compositions did not work well together. This though will be an idea for a future project.

Black snow.png.1

Figure Contest Photo

weird-vintage-beauty-contests.jpg

I felt like the Light baths was something that I couldn’t develop further currently. There wasn’t much to work with as a topic or experimenting with the photo as what was directed was the crucial part. If you remove the lights then its just kids, if you remove the kids then it will just be lights.

I found online a picture of old figure contest where they would cover the head to prevent the judgement being skewered by their looks. I love the fact that that the faces was covered by pillow cases, with the eye and mouth holes cut. I reminded me of a makeshift Halloween costume and very childlike. It really comical as this must have been a serious contest for photography and judging. The head wear looks sinister even, looking like a ski mask or someone that doesn’t want their identity exposed.

I decided to be more bold with the photos and directly interact with them besides cutting parts out. The break-through was the decision to paint the bodies green, which at the time must have been treasured and something to work hard for, and for that one particular moment it was their everything. Yet I decided to rob of their body. 

The green I used to cover the figures represent ‘mutant’ much like ninja turtles, x-men and slime. It represents the mutant fact of the figure as the main population do not have such a body, therefore this group are almost like mutants.

missbody.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

Spy Camera

zb3V2WY.jpg

I found this group of photographies on the internet, which was a Norwegian student hobby of using a spy camera to take mundane photos of people on the street. Yet because of this we get to see another side, which doesn't consist of ridged, unsmiling people from before.

It really provides an insight to how the streets looked before in the ages. What struck me the most was the outfits, knowing olden-day clothes and seeing them in posed photography, I never really took too much notice it to it till seeing these spy photos. How there isn't a lot of people walking on the streets due to the population not has high as it is now, nor how people walk by as they do now but in vintage dresses or men with top-hats.

It was this group of photographies that really stuck to me and inspired me to want to create or explore more with old found images. I find it almost like a treasure hunt looking on the internet (a modern invention) for old historic events.

XefFazs.jpg

THqSeWk.jpg       

Ev8eZ8t.jpg

Isle of Dogs

IsleOfDogsFirstLook.jpg

Since I like most of Wes Anderson’s film I was very excited to see his newest film Isles of Dogs. Just seeing the smooth animation that was created its hard to believe that it was created from stop motion. Further research I found out that there was a team of animators around 20 and not animated by Anderson himself.

The animation was extremely well made, with all the culture referencing on politics and democracy, this film is definitely something worth rewatching.

On Paintings and Pictures, Robert Ryman

Photo Restoration

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 2.26.50 pm.png

I stumbled upon this video one day while watching youtube. I loved how the restorer was able to fix and breath life into an old ripped photo. Seeing how it was painstakingly repaired and in some places reinterpreted to create a better composition.

This was also one resource that lend me into wanting to use and create with old photography.

Luiz Zerbini Interview

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.41.04 pm.png

https://frieze.com/media/luiz-zerbini

Zerbini's explanation of how his works come into being in this interview was very enlightening. Not by planing or composing, Zerbini simply creates an abstract background and then paints a plant. Yet he simply does not just paint a plant he paints it in the way that plant wanted to go, where he has no control of the final outcome. As Zerbini stated in the interview, 'I laugh and ask where are you going?' describes his process and interaction he has with the plant in the process. It is this view Zerbini has that struck to me how ridged and controlling I am towards my own painting way, and perhaps I should loosen up and see what happens.

56094206d33e38cafac815f2bfebb232.jpg

_ZERB-8-Monster_1.jpg

Janis Avotins

janis avotins.jpg  

Janis Avotins' work has a haunted quality to them, only giving enough details to plant an idea of an object yet not giving enough to know what is happening. The ghostly aspect get people hooked into looking further within the work for more information that will quell their curiosity, which also gives it a uncomfortable disturbing attribute.

The notion of removing the right amount to detail and the blurring is all something that I wish to incorporate into my work. I would like to play a twist and remove the 'haunted' feel by perhaps using bright colours that reflect cheerfulness such as orange, pink, pastel.

janis avotins 1.jpg

Lazika, Georgia 2013

CWH_do-ret_002_r-397x500.jpg

Seeing this work in the photographers gallery, I was immediately drawn to it because of its placement on the wall. Being so low that you have to look down on it, the irony of the piece was that it was a depiction of a wall. Usually having to look up to a wall or having the view obstructed it was place so low that one had to look down upon the wall, at a level where one could just lift up their leg and walk passed the boundary of what ever the wall represents to each viewer.

IMG_4775.jpg.1

Sapiens: A Brief History of HumanKind

c4499-sapiens.jpg

Sapiens provide an insight to the human nature and raises questions on our beliefs, rights and how we operate as a community. It raised questions of things that I have never questioned personally due the fact being a given. The themes explored in this book has really inspired me to view things in a different way and has started my interest in how view points change over time which lead to me researching olden photographies. Some of the thins Yuval Harari discusses are things that are so obvious that how come it has yet to be questioned before or pointed out. Some of my favourite quotes below;

"You could never convict a money to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in money heaven."

“The romantic contrast between modern industry that “destroys nature” and our ancestors who “lived in harmony with nature” is groundless. Long before the Industrial Revolution, Homo sapiens held the record among all organisms for driving the most plant and animal species to their extinctions. We have the dubious distinction of being the deadliest species in the annals of life.”

“Ever since the Cognitive Revolution, Sapiens have thus been living in a dual reality. On the one hand, the objective reality of rivers, trees and lions; and on the other hand, the imagined reality of gods, nations and corporations. As time went by, the imagined reality became ever more powerful, so that today the very survival of rivers, trees and lions depends on the grace of imagined entities such as the United States and Google.”

Bath Victoria Art Gallery

IMG_4723.jpg

In this exhibition I came across a painting of a young boy working making rope, sadly I forgot to take the title and artist down.

I really like this piece, showing child labour and how natural it would have been before. If he was born in this era he would be playing, running and perhaps gaming. But in his era he was a hard working, more serious and grown up child than perhaps one this era. Looking at this piece, I always think about his parents ordering him to do the work, being told, being showed and learning the life he was born into.

IMG_4726.jpg.4    

Angela de la Cruz

b948975d0c8b43aafec3447eda50a945--installation-art-art-installations.jpg Unknown.jpeg e964ef0beaedf653a27dda663a266ffc.jpg

Seeing ‘Compressed Blue’ 2011, metal boxes that was the exact hight of Cruz, smashed down into the height of her in a wheelchair. This work so simple yet so much raw emotions are expressed, her view on the destruction of what had happened to her body being crushed and smashed into a different form the metal buckling and deforming. The smash also represents her fenestration and anger in ‘what was’ and ‘what has become’. 

Yet during the interview Cruz stated that she loves to incorporate humour into works, which surprised me. Seeing her work it never struck me as humorous, I saw it more as a serious art practice involving around her frustration and the distortion of her form, her identity and her ability to create with her condition. 

‘I see painting as a language that has feelings and ideas’ this quote stated in the interview was one that reflects Cruz’s art practice. Most of her works are in-between painting and sculpture, yet one tends not to distinguish the painting from the sculpture, but it working together to express and inform the audience of her feeling. 

Her incompleteness of her completed works really influenced me into letting go of perfected artworks and explore the ripples, wrinkles, rips and imperfection.

CRUZ090009_1.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 4.45.29 pm.png.1

Photographers Gallery

Under Cover: A Secret History of Cross-Dressers

IMG_4778.jpg.1  

This exhibition was quite similar to my project with the use of found images. The photography is purchased on Ebay or in second hand sales. I found that this way of found images will be more in-depth as it wouldn’t have been preselected by someone to post it on the internet. Perhaps with more time frame and a larger budget this will be something I would like to explore.

Having small photographs depict what must have been something very private and perhaps something that at the time they did not wish others to know. Throughout this exhibition the question was raised as wether men needed to look manly to ‘protect’ their ‘manhood’. Was gender just merely a role playing game taken upon society.

IMG_4777.jpg.1 

CSM Ceramic Art London

rtaImage.png

I discovered a ceramic artist Alison Gautrey, she uses a mold on the throwing wheel and pours clay in. Using the central-fuse to have the slip go up the sides creating an end product of a very thin porcelain bowl.

The unique way in how Gautrey creates her works, yet also surprised by the simplicity of her technique. 

It really shows that simple is the best; with that in notion I purposely left the backgrounds plain for my figures and kept the composition at a minimal.

22.jpg

Dan Hays

Suspension.jpg

Seeing the immaculate brush strokes to make a painting look like a pixelated photo. This work is almost mind boggling in how he plans, prepares and dines’t get lost during painting. At first glance I thought it was a pixelated photography and not a detailed painting. 

Seeing all these artist use photography with paintings it is clear to say that there are so many possibilities with interpreting photography in paintings. At first I was concerned with using photographies as I thought it would be limiting, having to tie my work with one or two photographies, but now I know there is so much one can do with photos.

The Face of God.jpg

Face of God detail.jpg 

White Chapel Gallery - Mark Dion: Theatre of the Natural World

IMG_4786.jpg.1

I actually was unsure if I should enter this exhibition, as I came purely for the Iself Collection, a good thing that I went it. 

The major shock I got was the bird cage with live birds. I have never been to an art exhibition that consisted of live animals, mainly due to animal rights. I was pleased to find that they where Australian Zebra Finches, the sounds where every nostalgic as I use to keep them when I was young.

I liked the approach of combining science and art, yet at the same time I feel like the science part of Dion’s work takes away from the art aspect, and almost seems documented.

IMG_4788.jpg