Collection: Part 3

Scott Short

I find Scott Short's artistic practice almost like a form of torture, I can't even begin to understand why someone would what to paint white noise. I always associate it with a broken TV that needs hitting. I might not like Short's final outcome, but I do admire the effort and guts to create a piece like this. For him to photocopying images to the extent of there being no photo left and painting the remains of it. I do believe it was the introduction to Short's work that has gotten me into photo manipulation. Before I would never cut or paint-over a photograph, mainly due to the believe that photographies are something to be treasured and also perhaps our family rarely print out photographs. 

It is because of his painstaking way in art creation and in-turn made me ask myself to always reinterpret Photography and always find different ways to exploring and create photographies and artworks.

- All to Human - Exhibition

The exhibition 'All Too Human' was something that I feel personally does not connect strongly to me. I an not interested in the human figure nor much towards humanity. 

Out of all the the works, I still strongly prefer Lucien Freud's work as the use of colour and the texture of the paint that shows the voluptuous flesh of women and males alike. The progression of Freud's practice from fine paint brushes and tiny strokes towards the bigger and bolder paint brushes and strokes he used. Seeing the development and progress of his art style from refined to more expressive which I personally believe works better with the fleshly tones and texture of his works. 

I do wish to explore more with expressive paint textures and to be less over barring with my paintings. Yet I have also noticed that out of all the works within the gallery I still preferred Feuds work even though he is more of the controlling painter than compared to Francis Bacon. It is perhaps the detail and the use of colour that attracts to me.

The youtube video by Cyriak is something that inspired me to do this project, it opened the way on how to reinterpret or create something out of one thing. In this instant Cyriak used a short clip to create a 1:20min video of a sheep, that loops around and perhaps the original clip itself is only a few second long. The way that Cyriak when about creating it really showed me that you don’t need a lot to create something decent, there doesn’t need to be an abundance of ‘raw’ materials in order to make something.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.24.18 pm.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.24.37 pm.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.24.30 pm.png

Ways of Seeing

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 5.55.58 pm.png

John Berger's 'Ways of Seeing' even though is made in the 1972, still holds much meaning and relevance to what and how art is perceived and depicted in media today. How the impact of a digital form and how a simple depiction can drastically change what the work represents. 

Recently visited the National Art Gallery and without knowing it was exhibited I stumbled upon Caravaggio's Supper at Emmaus 1601. I was surprised that I was underwhelmed when looking at it. Due to the image of the work everywhere in the media, the effect of seeing it has one could say 'diminished' as I feel like I've seen this work too many times and that it has become mundane, almost an everyday occurrence. 

victor man

Victor Man's works is something that I am surprised that I would like. Having the texture or the shine of the paint work with the completed work, his approach with subjects of his works almost take on a surreal expression, clearly depicting a figure yet at the same time always depicting just a bit more, something just a tad bit off that takes it away from a simple portrait or a figure painting.

The Empire of Ants, David Attenborough

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.15.11 pm.png

The discovery of these ant hills in Switzerland are something really extraordinary and really intrigues me. What was found and what David Attenborough is explaining is that science has found a group of colonies on one side of a hill has unified into a super colony, basically they have formed alliances between each other. Instead of fighting over resources or land, this one side of the hill all the ants works together as one colony. 

This simple step of these ants working together almost seems like before when humans where raging war between kingdoms and empires, and that they have taken the next step in civilisation much like us. I wonder how did the first alliance happen and how did it spread. I find this really inspirational as it clearly defines that everything is always evolving and creating changes, and that human nature isn't as unique as we all come to see it.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 1.55.00 pm.png

'Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website. Registered members submit content to the site such as links, text posts, and images, which are then voted up or down by other members.' - Wikipedia

Reddit is the one website that I like to frequent as it give an overview on what the internet is discussing, interested and looking at. Most of the things being discussed is not something that is normal discussed on normal news media or found anywhere else. The topics range from humanism, politics, upcoming news, nature photographies, interesting things such as how machines sort to the weird and quirky. Most posts are funny and sassy, yet it shows an insight to how people respond to many things.

Most of the old photographies I find are mostly from here, reading what the photo was about and the comments of people reacting towards such photos are something that I find very interesting. It is mostly the comment sections that I mostly enjoy, reading people complain about things, crack jokes or discuss the consequences or outcomes. 

example of the comment section below:

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 2.16.50 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 2.16.58 pm.png

Ceal Floyer

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.38.16 pm.png.1

Ceal Floyer's work always have this quirkiness to them, like there is alway a joke within each piece. Floyer mostly uses mundane setting or objects in her works that I think create a connection with each audience on a basic level as each object everyone would have interacted with or personally used before. It is because of this that Floyer's work can connect and create a smile on everyones faces, it is a smile not because of its uniqueness but its play on the mundane settings that everyone can relate too.

I found out that is is really hard to find the titles of Floyer's works, so therefore I'll name them as what is represented. The 'sink' above hits home for me as it shows the simple redundancy of a bad design, water in the bathroom sink that goes straight down the drain is something that always gets to me. 

Or Floyer's 'Ladder' below, shows a ladder with steps besides the most top and most bottom step make people stop and ponder on a objects design that when working is never thought about. Yet the simple removal of a few steps makes people laugh at the ridiculous design.

Wilhelm Sasnal

wilhelm sasnal prace 9_5992469.jpg

Wilhelm Sasnal works has got this quality to them that makes the figures unified into the background yet simultaneously stand out from it. The use of texture or block colour creates a space that the figure stand out and blend in,as the eye sees the painting theres a fight between looking at the background and looking at the figures. Almost to the point that once looking at one feature everything else in the painting is blotted out.

His portraits, however, personally feel they are lacking compared to his landscapes with figures. The portraits are less interesting, it doesn't consist of the attention grabbing background and figures, the whole quality feel like an olden photography with a modern twist.

Newport Street Gallery

Rachel Howard's exhibition: Repetition is Truth - Via Dolorosa was an gallery that I did not enjoy much.

As the title states 'repetition' this gallery was a continuous theme of paintings, which basically was an off white background with streaks of colour. I found this really boring, mostly cause there isn't much to see and with all the paintings practically the same, I got bored just walking through it.

Spy Camera

I found this group of photographies on the internet, which was a Norwegian student hobby of using a spy camera to take mundane photos of people on the street. Yet because of this we get to see another side, which doesn't consist of ridged, unsmiling people from before.

It really provides an insight to how the streets looked before in the ages. What struck me the most was the outfits, knowing olden-day clothes and seeing them in posed photography, I never really took too much notice it to it till seeing these spy photos. How there isn't a lot of people walking on the streets due to the population not has high as it is now, nor how people walk by as they do now but in vintage dresses or men with top-hats.

It was this group of photographies that really stuck to me and inspired me to want to create or explore more with old found images. I find it almost like a treasure hunt looking on the internet (a modern invention) for old historic events.

Lady Bird

'Lady Bird' was a movie that I quite didn't understand. With the high ratings of people and papers alike, I wondered what was in this movie that had people so hooked. As I found out it was the quality in connection and 'touching' people childhood, this movie had lots of points that a span of people from different generations could all connected to with, parenting, teenage awkwardness, personal discovery, family fights, love and development. 

'Lady Bird is a film bursting with warmth, wit and melancholy that manages to seem fresh and unexpected despite the overly stacked nature of the subgenre. Gerwig displays no narcissism as someone sharing a version of her past or an aching desire to be hip as a young film-maker and instead relies on genuine, deeply felt emotion to sell her story. It’s an impeccably crafted film.' - The Guardian

Even knowing all the good points and with good critique reviews, this film is still a mystery to me as why people like it as much. Having the protagonist difficult relationship with her strong-willed mother as a connection point for people, I felt it more as a flaw on how people don't come to terms with other people and only seeing from their side. My whole thoughts throughout the film was that this family needed to have more communication and understanding.

Luiz Zerbini Interview

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.41.04 pm.png

Zerbini's explanation of how his works come into being in this interview was very enlightening. Not by planing or composing, Zerbini simply creates an abstract background and then paints a plant. Yet he simply does not just paint a plant he paints it in the way that plant wanted to go, where he has no control of the final outcome. As Zerbini stated in the interview, 'I laugh and ask where are you going?' describes his process and interaction he has with the plant in the process. It is this view Zerbini has that struck to me how ridged and controlling I am towards my own painting way, and perhaps I should loosen up and see what happens.

Janis Avotins

janis avotins.jpg  

Janis Avotins' work has a haunted quality to them, only giving enough details to plant an idea of an object yet not giving enough to know what is happening. The ghostly aspect get people hooked into looking further within the work for more information that will quell their curiosity, which also gives it a uncomfortable disturbing attribute.

The notion of removing the right amount to detail and the blurring is all something that I wish to incorporate into my work. I would like to play a twist and remove the 'haunted' feel by perhaps using bright colours that reflect cheerfulness such as orange, pink, pastel.

janis avotins 1.jpg

Sapiens: A Brief History of HumanKind

Sapiens provide an insight to the human nature and raises questions on our beliefs, rights and how we operate as a community. It raised questions of things that I have never questioned personally due the fact being a given. The themes explored in this book has really inspired me to view things in a different way and has started my interest in how view points change over time which lead to me researching olden photographies. Some of the thins Yuval Harari discusses are things that are so obvious that how come it has yet to be questioned before or pointed out. Some of my favourite quotes below;

"You could never convict a money to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in money heaven."

“The romantic contrast between modern industry that “destroys nature” and our ancestors who “lived in harmony with nature” is groundless. Long before the Industrial Revolution, Homo sapiens held the record among all organisms for driving the most plant and animal species to their extinctions. We have the dubious distinction of being the deadliest species in the annals of life.”

“Ever since the Cognitive Revolution, Sapiens have thus been living in a dual reality. On the one hand, the objective reality of rivers, trees and lions; and on the other hand, the imagined reality of gods, nations and corporations. As time went by, the imagined reality became ever more powerful, so that today the very survival of rivers, trees and lions depends on the grace of imagined entities such as the United States and Google.”